Schrott, Erwin - Arias
Composer: Bizet, Boito, Gomes, Gounod, Massenet, Mozart, Offenbach, Puccini, Sorozabal, Verdi
On his second release for Sony Classical, Erwin Schrott transfers many of his stage triumphs to an album of arias. Although it is a must to include one of his showpiece arias from Mozart’s Don Giovanni on the recording, for the most part Schrott has devoted this new CD to classics from the French and Italian bass-baritone repertoire, complementing them with compositions by Verdi and Massenet that are not often heard.
The two arias by Giuseppe Verdi from Attila and I Lombardi hark back to the major interpretations of Verdi by many heroes of the bass-baritone world back in the composer’s lifetime. Boito’s opera Mefistofele represents a fitting extension of the repertoire here. Massenet himself particularly admired baritone singing – the arias from the opera Don Quichotte testify to this in their own individual way, and the works of Offenbach and Bizet provide a logically consistent context for this in terms of music history. Finally, with the famous aria Le Veau d’or from Gounod’s Faust, with a deliberately diabolic touch Erwin Schrott creates a link to Boito’s masterpiece.
The singer also gives due place to his love of music by Spanish and Latin American composers: The two arias by the Spanish composer Pablo Sorozabal, and Da sposa, di padre by the Brazilian Carlos Gomes from the opera Salvator, are three varied, highly characteristic pieces that frequently arouse an enthusiastic response from audiences at his concerts.
Erwin Schrott, Sorin Coliban, Maria Grün, Rinat Shaham.
Radio Symphonie Orchester Wien, Wiener Staatsopernchor.
Daniele Rustioni (Dirigent)
1. Scintille, diamant - from Les contes d'Hoffmann (2:32)
2. Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre - from Carmen (4:25)
3. Le veau d'or - from Faust (2:01)
4. 2nd Interlude - from Don Quichotte (2:34)
5. O mon maitre, o mon grand! - from Don Quichotte (10:27)
6. A te nell'ora infausta - from I Lombardi (3:57)
7. Sciagurata - from I Lombardi (6:21)
8. Mentre gonfiarsi l'anima - from Attila (5:21)
9. Ave Signor (Chorus) - from Mefistofele (3:25)
10. Ave Signor - from Mefistofele (3:53)
11. Son lo spirito che nega - from Mefistofele (3:28)
12. Ecco il mondo - from Mefistofele (2:46)
13. Di sposo, di padre - from Salvator Rosa (5:36)
14. No te acerques no me persigas - from La Tabernera del Puerto (3:28)
15. Despierta negro - from La Tabernera del Puerto (3:32)
16. Tre sbirri, una carozza... (Te Deum) - from Tosca (4:07)
,,Der Bassbariton aus Uruguay versteht es, sein attraktives Timbre gewinnbringend einzusetzen und mit kernigem, flexiblem Körperklang und stupender Höhe - etwa beim Gis in Dapertuttos ,,Scintille, diamant" - pralle Figuren auf die Hörbühne zu stellen." (Stereo, August 2012)